Turkey stuffed acorn squash with onions, mushrooms, apples, and celery topped with melty parmesan cheese. This recipe has some of my favorite fall flavors and can be a great way to use up some of that leftover Thanksgiving turkey.
Acorn squash is one of my favorite fall flavors to cook with but, although I haven’t ever really experimented much outside of the classic brown sugar and butter, maybe because it is soooo good that way. Being that it is such a great fall squash and I am always looking to try new things, I took a stab at making a savory acorn squash dish.
With Thanksgiving on my mind (I can’t believe it is the day after tomorrow, I am so excited!) I decided to try a turkey stuffed acorn squash. I used ground turkey but you could absolutely use leftover turkey meat. If your family is anything like mine and gets the biggest turkey no matter how many people are coming, you will need more recipes than sandwiches to use up that turkey.
This is a super easy recipe to make and the presentation is beautiful. I cut my squash the short way across to create a flower-like shape. Pretty food is always nice whether it is just for a snack or a dinner party. The flavors are overwhelming, the sweetness from the apples and squash pair perfectly with the savory mushroom, onions and turkey. Check out the recipe below…
- 2 acorn squash
- 1 lb. ground beef or 1 1/2 - 2 cups chopped cooked turkey (like leftovers from Thanksgiving)
- 1/2 cup chopped apples
- 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1-2 stalks celery, chopped
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat oven to 400°
- Cut acorn squash in half the short way and scoop out all the guts. You can cut them in half the long way also but I think the short way is prettier.
- Brush the squash with olive oil and sprinkle with salt
- Place squash on a baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes or until you can easily pierce with a fork.
- While squash is cooking, saute ground turkey for 5 minutes (if you are using cooked turkey skip this step and add turkey in with the veggies)
- Scoop ground turkey into a bowl and set aside.
- Add onions, celery and cook for 2- 3 minutes, add mushrooms and apples and cook for another 2 minutes (if you are using leftover turkey add it in here)
- Add a tablespoon of grated Parmesan cheese and cooked ground turkey and mix thoroughly
- Spoon mixture into squash until very full, sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top and place in oven
- Bake for 15-20 minutes
- Serve immediately
How are you going to be enjoying your leftover? Tell me in the comments!