Strawberry heart-shaped hand pies that are easy to make and a great way to celebrate the day of love. A candy-like sweetness is created with fresh strawberries and vanilla extract while black pepper adds a slight zing. Topped with a heart-shaped marshmallow that provides an ooey gooey center.
Valentine’s day is right around the corner! My husband and I don’t usually make a big deal of Valentine’s Day. The night most likely will consist of a nice dinner at home followed by adult beverages and movie, or a binge sesh of whatever Netflix show we are currently hooked on. Dream Valentine’s Day right there! With that being said, I love Valentine’s Day for the opportunities to cook and bake new recipes. And of course, my favorite part to make is dessert.
What better dessert than heart-shaped strawberry hand pies with marshmallow in the middle?!
Nothing. The answer is nothing : ) They are a sweet treat that is both fun to make and to eat; they fit right you hand for crying out loud! (easy to enjoy while binge-watching your favorite show).
These hand pies start with the pie dough; I posted back in September about how to make the perfect pie crust. This is the crust recipe that I used for these but you can also buy store bought dough. You will need a large and small heart cookies cutter; you can find them at most craft stores or online.
Chopped strawberries and vanilla extract create a flavor that is crazy close to that of conversation heart candy. There is a touch of black pepper which I just recently discovered pairs with strawberry amazingly; it adds a slight zing to the sweetness.
On top of that (literally) is a heart-shaped marshmallow that provides an extra sweetness. It is placed in the center as soon as the pies come out of the oven. By the time you are putting a pie on your plate the center is ooey gooey and delicious. You can, of course, ditch the marshmallow to show that pop of strawberry red in the middle.
However you celebrate Valentine’s Day, fit these in somewhere for a sweet treat that you deserve. xoxo.
- Prepared pie dough or store bought
- 1 cup chopped strawberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 beaten egg
- Large and small heart cookie cutters
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Combine strawberries, sugar, cornstarch, black pepper, and vanilla extract and mix until evenly covered.
- Turn dough onto a floured board and roll out until 1/4 inch thick
- Using a large heart shaped cookies cutter cut eight hearts out of dough. Using a small heart shaped cookie cutter cut a small heart in the center of four of the large hearts; these will be the tops.
- Place bottom pieces on baking sheet and scoop a heaping tablespoon of strawberry mixture onto the hearts.
- Brush the edges of the dough with beaten egg and carefully cover with top dough piece. It may be necessary to shape the middle heart as it can get slightly misshapen.
- Brush top of pie with beaten egg and use a fork to press the edges together.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until pies are golden brown.
- While pies are baking, take eight marshmallows and flatten them with hands the best you can.
- Use small heart cookies cutter and cut out eight marshmallow hearts
- Once the pies are done baking, take them out of the oven and place a marshmallow heart in the center heart cut out.
- Allow the marshmallow to warm and melt slightly.
- Serve immediately